Retirement is a major life transition in the second half of life, and it can be associated with deterioration in health and changes in leisure activity engagement.
Health & Leisure for Retirees examines common health challenges of retirees such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer and arthritis and the structure of leisure activities and leisure benefits of individuals who have recently retired. It also proffers ways to prevent, manage these conditions to avoid risk of complications, and possibly reverse these conditions through lifestyle changes. Also, it explores the contribution of leisure activities and benefits to a higher life satisfaction at this phase of life.
Retirement offers the opportunity to give up potentially risky, challenging, and/or stressful work, which is expected to foster improvements in retirees’ health. However, retirement also bears the risk that retirees suffer from the loss of daily routines, physical and/or mental activity, a sense of identity and purpose, and social interactions, which may lead to poor lifestyle choices such as poor diet, lack of quality sleep, smoking, overuse of alcohol, lack of physical activity and inadequate relief of chronic stress which are key contributors in the development and progression of preventable chronic diseases, including obesity, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease and several types of cancer that have life-threatening consequences.
Did you know that poor emotional health can weaken your body’s immune system and can alter the body’s natural ability to heal itself thereby leading to chronic diseases?
This course provides healthy ways to cope with the stress and deal with negative emotions. It also examines certain factors that affect sex drive after the age of 60 and shows that you are never too old for a richer, romantic, and more exciting sex life. In addition, it suggests ways to improve your relationship with your partner.
Even if you've been less than virtuous when it comes to your health habits in the past, now is the time to start working towards a better future. It's never too late to make lifestyle modifications.
By following the recommendations provided, you will not only be able to keep lifestyle diseases at bay and lengthen your life, but also enhance your close personal relationships. This course will enable participants adopt lifestyle modifications and experience rapid, significant and sustainable improvements in their health and overall being.
- The Mind, your Health
- High blood pressure do’s and don’ts
- Preventing and reversing heart disease
- Silent stroke: warning signs
- Cancer and Its prevention
- You can beat arthritis
- Staying healthy despite diabetes
- Fall prevention for older adults and osteoporosis
- Social relationships, leisure and heath in older adults
- Love & sex after 60
the end of the Course, participants will be able to:
- Understand how a healthy mind can improve health
- Be enlightened on dangers of overlooking High blood pressure
- Be enlightened about how to prevent common age related diseases and know measures to take in the prevention, management and reversal of Heart disease, diabetes and cancers
- Identify the warning signs of a stroke
- Understand the importance of caring for your bones and identify ways to manage bone conditions such as Arthritis and Osteoporosis
- Understand the factors that could negatively impact sexual satisfaction after the age of 60 and adopt ways to improve your relationships with your partner.